Monday, September 14, 2009

I never thought I'd see the day.

Guess what? I finally got my driving license!!

Yesterday, my brother lent me his car so I could practice being on the road and parking in it. I learned to drive in my mom's car, which has manual transmission and is much smaller, but for some issues I couldn't use it for my test; so my dear brother lent me his car.

I instantaneously got the hang of it, although I did reach to change gears a couple of times, and also my left foot felt weird being unused. Seriously, automatic is a breeze! And so comfortable! Yet, manual is so much fun...

But my brother said that today he was going to be held up at school, so we decided to go take the test some other day. But, he got home at around 11:30 AM, saying that he had finished up what he had to do and that we could use his car. I quickly got in the shower, and got ready. My parents cleaned up the car and put some nice smelling stuff in it. And we were off to the DMV office.

I drove, and I was a bit nervous. When we got there, my dad got in line, and told me to sit. When he was going to be next, we switched places. I told the lady I came to get my driver's license, and gave her my I.D. and Social Security Card. She was pulling out some forms and asked me if I had had other licenses before. I told her: "No, but I have a permit", to which she said: "Oh! Well that changes things!". I hoped it was for the better. It was. She then put the form back, and got another one out.

I filled out my form and got in another line. The lady gave me an appointment for 2 o'clock. I was a bit confused. "What about the computer test?", I wondered. I went back to where my parents were sitting and told them we had to come back at 2 o'clock. My mom asked me the same thing I was wondering, to which I came to the conclusion that I only had to take the computer test once, and that one time was when I got my permit.

I felt happy. I was way more nervous about the computer test than about the road test. I'm serious!

It was 1 o'clock, and before we left, my dad told me to practice my parallel parking a few times. I did it great the first time. The next six times totally sucked. My dad was getting anxious, which made me nervous and almost made me want to cry because he was getting all jumpy and making me even more nervous! He then told me to go around the parking lot and try it again. We both calmed and I did it great the first try. I wanted to leave after that, haha! But instead of going home and back, we decided to go to a nearby McDonald's and get some sundaes. Then we went to Big Lots, where I roamed in the makeup section and almost bought some cheapo eyeshadows.

We got back to the DMV 5 minutes early, and waited. They called my name, along with a couple other people. They told us take our cars and park them in the area with the cones. I did so, it was easy :] I was third in line. The first examiner came and took the first person. Then the second examiner came and started examining the girl next to me. She was basically asking her to use her right and left signal, etc., and I was locating them too, just to make sure I knew where everything was.

Then the first examiner came back, and came with me. She asked for the insurance and my form. She examined the car (right and left signals, brake lights, etc). Then she got in. She said: "It's a little warm in here". It was, I was sweating a lot and had been wiping my face with a tissue. I turned on the car and turned the A/C to the highest. Also the radio came on, which was turned off when I parked, but I immediately turned it off.

She told me to "Go ahead and parallel park". My nightmare!! But to my surprise, I did it superbly. And then we were really off to the road. First she told me to go right as we left the DMV parking lot, which led us to a residential area. Turn left, turn right, turn right, turn left... Then she told me to stop, and back in reverse. Dammit! I didn't practice that. I did it, and I ended up.. kinda in the other lane... She told me to watch my orientation. I was just hoping that wouldn't be a deadly mistake. She then sent me into a road with actual traffic. I did good. We got back into the residential area and into the DMV parking lot again. I parked, and turned off the car. She then said: "You did good". To which, in the tone she said it, I was expecting a "But you didn't pass" to follow. I said "Thank you". But then she said: "I don't have to lecture you or anything". I laughed a little and said: "Thank you" again. She then gave me my form back and told me to go back in the in where I had gotten my appointment, and that they would give me my temporary license there. She got out of the car and I kinda stayed there for a moment, not believing what had just happened. I quickly scanned the form to find a check mark next to: "Passed". I then looked at the clock. It was 2:29 PM. I grabbed my Hello Kitty purse and got out of the car. I had the biggest smile on my face! I rarely smile like that when I'm alone. I wast just, so happy. I got in the office again and went up to my parents and told them: "I have a license now!". They congratulated me and I went to get back in line.

I had been sweating a lot, and my hair was a mess. I wanted to go fix myself up for the picture (oh man, typical girl!), but thought it was a bit too much. But then my mom went up to me and told me to go fix myself for the picture. I then realized I would have to live for I-don't know-how-many years with a crappy picture if I didn't. I went to the bathroom, brushed my hair, and put on some lip gloss. Apparently I took a little long, and my mom followed me into the bathroom and told me that I just needed a quick fix, not a makeover. I finished up and went back out. I waited in line and when it was my turn I went up to the lady and told her I had just done my driving test. To which she told me: "Oh, you want to take your driving test?". The horror! I said: "No, I just took my test and the lady told me to come back here". She then understood what I was saying and took my $24 dollars, my fingerprints, and my picture.

I suck at taking pictures when I'm not holding the camera. She was looking at the screen and she smiled. I was going crazy in my mind for that smile! "Did she smile because I came out funny looking? Was it because of my pink hair? Oh my gosh! The camera is totally going to mess up the pink hair!". She then gave me my temporary license and told me to check if the information on it was correct. It was. I asked her if I could drive with that permit. To which she said: "Yes, and you will get your license in the mail in 8 weeks". I thanked her and left.

I got back to my parents and showed them my "license", I was so happy! We then went back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment